Start a new topic

Customize HTTP POST Payload

Currently, the HTTP Post action in journeys is not customizable.  The action simply posts all available data about the contact to the URL specified.  

This makes this action very limited in it's usefulness.  Many outside services require specifically specified keys in the Post data in order to properly consume the posted data and make use of it.

In addition, from a security and privacy perspective of your contact data, it is not good practice to send unnecessary data to an endpoint that does not require it especially over unencrypted connections.

I feel this would be a very good feature addition to Maropost and increase the capabilities to integrate with many more outside services directly from a Journey.

Hey Brad,

I saw your note to Ben. 

What information do you want to put into the POST?  Just like with anything that is "customizable", there must be limits.  I want to understand the nature of the information you want to send.

Best regards,

Manny Ju

Vice President - Product and Client Success

Maropost Marketing Cloud

Hi Manny,

I just want to be able to customize what is actually sent out.  For example, one endpoint might only need name, email, phone in order to do the work it needs to do.  But in addition to that, the endpoint might be configured to only look for specific keys in the payload for it to work. 

So for example, when setting up the HTTP Post, the Maropost user would specify the keys and values it needs sent similar to this:

email_address: {{contact.email}}

name: {{contact.first_name}}

phone_number: {{contact.phone}}

They could choose to send over only 1 key and value or multiple depending on their needs.  But only the data they specify gets sent.

Here's a crude example of how this could work to help better explain:

Hi Brad,

Yes -- as long as we are dealing with simple things like contact fields -- both standard and custom -- then that's a common practice with platforms that I've seen.

I believe Ben mentioned to you that I'll consider this as a potential future enhancement to our platform.  The timeline for implementation being contingent upon our own strategic product roadmap and whether this is a feature that other clients will benefit from using in Maropost.

Best regards,

Manny Ju

Vice President - Product and Client Success

Maropost Marketing Cloud

Login or Signup to post a comment