Start a new topic

Structured Data in Relational Database

We would love to be able to do a mass campaign with personalized products featured in the content. 

However right now there's now way to store structured data (json) in the database and use liquid scripting to render a personalized email. 

The only way to accomplish this is using transactional campaigns passing the structured data using the tags parameters. This has the disadvantage of requiring to export lists/segments and use an external process to generate/send those emails.

Possible solutions:

- Implement/support a json_parse filter within the liquid script engine (https://github.com/culturekings/shopify-json-parser)

- Add support for a json type of field within Relational Tables, content of that type would get parsed and be available within the template

Hopefully this is something that can be considered in the product roadmap.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your input.

Is there anything preventing you from storing the information directly as fields within the relational table?  Structured data whether in JSON format or as fields in a relational database is still structured data.  Interested to learn more about your situation. 

Best regards,

Manny Ju

Vice President, Product Development

Maropost Marketing Cloud

Let's say I want to send an email suggesting 10 products.

And each product has 4 properties (name, description, url to image, price)

To be able to use relational table, I would need to create a table with 40 columns.

Then my Content template would need to be static, with no way to create loops to iterate through each product.

I would rather have the ability to store structured data, then I can use liquid script in my template  like I do with content feeds to render the html.

Hi Karl,

Actually, you'd have a table with 4 fields, but the contact would have 10 records.  Liquid script will automatically pull those 10 records for the contact and store in an array.  From that point, it's nothing more than array manipulation within the email content using a FOR loop.

What you want to accomplish should be doable using current out of the box functionality.  I can have your Customer Success Manager reach out to you to discuss further how to implement.

Best regards,

Manny Ju

Vice President, Product Development

Maropost Marketing Cloud

Great if it's possible. In my different interactions with your support team, it was not my understanding that one-to-many relationships were possible in your relational databases.

Please have Colin reach out.

Login or Signup to post a comment