Upload a List from Desktop
To import a contact list, please follow these steps:
1. Hover your cursor over the Maropost logo, and click ‘Contacts’. While on the contact list index page, you’ll notice multiple options below a contact list; export, import, contacts, edit, delete, and refresh counts.
2. Click ‘Imports’. There are three different ways to import contacts into a list, which are described below:
File Import: Choose your .csv file from your computer to upload contacts to a list. There is a maximum size limit of 150mb for using the ‘File Import’ option.
FTP Import: After setting up your FTP imports (click here for details), you can select this option to upload contacts to a list using our FTP server. There is no file size limit for FTP upload.
Automated Import: You specify the settings, and outline the field mappings for the contact file you plan on import. The automated process will scan the specified FTP file path and check to see if there is a file in that location. If there is, it will import the contact file into your selected list.
**In your .csv file, email is the only mandatory field for importing contacts.**
3. After clicking ‘Next’, you will be shown the contact mapping page. Here you will select which fields from your .csv file will be matched with your previously created fields on the Maropost app.
(Optional) If you have designated a custom field to be the unique identifier of your contact records, then select the name of the field in your import file that contains the member IDs, subscriber IDs, or any other type of profile IDs that your internal system is using to uniquely identify each contact record.
By default, the contact’s email address is used to determine whether a new contact record is created or an existing one updated. However, if you’ve included the field containing your unique identifier in the file mapping, then that unique identifier field (e.g. the member ID) will be used to determine whether a contact record exists or not.
On the contact mapping page, there are 3 check boxes on the right side:
(i) Import new contacts: This option imports new contacts only.
(ii) Update existing contacts: This option allows you to update the existing contacts in a list.
(iii) Do not trigger workflow campaigns: This option will prevent a workflow from triggering the contacts involved in this list.
4. Once everything is mapped correctly, click ‘Import’. You can track the progress of the import from the bell logo along the top of the page.
**You can also set a data workflow to import contacts into a list.**
Upload a list from FTP site
This feature allows you to import data files which are too large to upload from your browser. The normal import process does not allow an import of a data file size bigger than 150mb, so an FTP upload is used to overcome this limitation.
- To find your sFTP login credentials, move your mouse cursor over your account name and click 'Connections'.
- Click on the SFTP Access tab. You will see the following details required to setup the FTP upload: Host, Server Address, Username, Password, and Port.
- Enter the login credentials to any FTP client that you chose to use. Once you’ve logged in, you’ll noticed that your default root FTP folder is 'Uploads'. From this root folder, you can create any sub-folders and place your data files there.
- Maropost Marketing Cloud supports any text file with .csv or .txt file extension.
- Your file can use either a comma, tab, colon, or semi-colon as the field delimiter.
- The first row of the file must be the header row.
- From the Contacts screen, click the 'Import' link for the list whose contacts data file you wish to import.
- When the Import Contacts modal opens, click the 'FTP import' tab.
- Select the name of the file that you’ve uploaded to the FTP folder.
- Select the field delimiter that is used in the file.
- Click the [Next] button to upload the file to the buffer.
- Once the upload is complete, you will be shown the contact mapping page. Map the fields in the import file to the standard and custom fields in your Contacts database.
- Choose the option to import new contacts (checked by default)
- Choose the option to update existing contacts (checked by default)
- Choose the option to not trigger workflow campaigns (checked by default). This option only applies to workflows using a 'New Subscription' trigger widget and this list is selected in the trigger. If selected, then contacts included in the data file will not enter any of the workflows.
- Click the [Import] button to initiate the import.
- Check the Notifications Center to follow the status of the import. You’ll be notified when the import has finished.
- The notification will inform you of the total records imported, total contact records subscribed to the list, total contact records unsubscribed from the list, total number of bad email addresses and total duplicated email addresses.
- A 'bad email address' is any address that fails the basic syntax validation for an email address, or one whose domain is that of a known spammer.
- You will be able to download a file of the bad email addresses that includes the email address and why it was flagged as 'bad'.