Tags are the metadata that describe an item. Unlike fields, which are created for the complete account for all contacts, tags will aid in classification of contacts based on the requirements.
Where can you use a contact tag?
Once the tags are successfully created and the contacts are imported into it, we can create segments. Furthermore, you can use tag event triggers and change tag actions available under workflows now.
To create a new tag, please follow these steps:
1. From the dashboard, hover on ‘Email’. Scroll to 'Contacts' and select 'Tags.'
2. This will open the tags index page. On the bottom-right you can either click on 'New Tag' or 'Import Tags.'
3. Click ‘Import Tags’. Choose the XML or JSON file and click ‘Import’.
Do Not Trigger Journey Campaigns - This option only applies to Contact Tags which are defined in the 'Tag Event' trigger of a journey. If checked, then the contacts which are tagged will not enter the journeys triggered by Tag Events. If unchecked, then the contacts will enter the journeys as normal.
IMPORTANT: While importing the .csv file, each contact should have an email, add_tags or remove_tags field. Both add_tags and remove_tags columns should contain comma separated tag names. The difference between add_tags and remove_tags is that add_tag will add the contact into the tag and remove_tag will simply remove it.
**Make sure the tag name you created in Maropost is same as the tag value in the .csv file or the contacts will not be imported**
4. The contacts will be added to the respective tags once the import is complete. There is no limit to the number of tags.
How to create tags in segment:
- From the dashboard, scroll to ‘Emails’. Scroll and click ‘Segments.’ Now, click 'New Segment' on the bottom-right of your screen.
- Give a name to the segment and click on ‘Add New Rule’. Select ‘Tags’ in the drop down list.
- After selecting ‘Tags’, you will be shown a new drop-down menu which has the following options; is equal to, is not equal to, contains, does not contain, starts with, ends with.
4. After selecting any of the options, you can enter the created date and then save the segment.
How to use tags in automation:
- There is a ‘Tag Event’ trigger in the workflow. If we create a workflow based on the ‘Tag Event’ trigger, it will trigger the workflow as soon as a new contact gets added to the tag or if a contact is removed from the tag.
- ‘Change Tag’ element under ‘Actions’ will change the tags of the contacts involved in the workflow.