A countdown timer is an animated GIF that is generated on the fly whenever an email is opened. As the email is opened, the timer will display the current remaining days/hours/minutes/seconds to its predefined expiry. The remaining time is recalculated each time the email is opened. Once displayed in the email, the animation will count down 45 seconds before resetting and counting down 45 seconds each time.
Select Email >> Content >> Live Content. Then, click the Add New Item icon on the right hand side of the menu bar and select 'New Countdown Timer'.
- Name: Enter the name of this countdown timer.
- Expiry Date: Enter the date and time when the timer will expire.
- Default Image: This is the image that will appear in email clients that do not support animated GIFs. You can select one from the Image Library or upload one from your desktop.
- Expiry Image: This is the image that will appear in the email when the expiry date/time has passed.
- Color: Select this option if you want a solid background for the timer.
- Image: Select this if you want to have an image background. You should only upload a simple image without too much of a color depth. Otherwise your countdown timer will be very large and take a long time to load in the email client (if at all).
- Template: Select this option if you want the countdown timer to be displayed as a clock instead of as numbers counting down.
- Auto Trim: This option sets the image dimensions of the countdown timer to exactly the width and height of the numbers.
- Custom: This option allows you to set the image dimensions of the countdown timer yourself.
- Color: Select the color of the numbers for the timer.
- Family: Select the font family for the numbers.
- Size: Select the point size (in pixels) of the numbers.
- Font Top Margin: Use this option to vertically center the numbers inside the image if you are using Custom dimensions.
- Weight: Select how you want the numbers to appear as normal, thin, or bold.
Click the [Render Preview] button to see how your countdown timer will look when viewed in an email. Once you are satisfied, click the [Save] button.
Once you’ve created the countdown timer, click its name when displayed in the Countdown Timer index screen.
Click the Copy icon to copy the image URL to your clipboard. This is URL for the Image tag’s SRC attribute.
To insert your countdown timer in your email content, your HTML code will look something like: