The FTP Import option enables you to use our FTP servers to import data files that are too large to upload. The File Import option does not allow an import of a data file size bigger than 150 MB, so an FTP upload can be used to overcome this limitation.
For a brief context into all file import options and links to specific detailed instructions, see Importing Contact Lists.
Setting Up SFTP Import
Before you can use the FTP Import option, you must set up the SFTP access. Perform the following steps to set up the SFTP access:
- Click your user name on the top-right corner of the application and then click Connections.
- Click the SFTP Access tab. Enter the following details required to set up the FTP upload: Host, Server Address, Username, Password, and Port.
- Enter the login credentials to any FTP client that you chose to use. Once you’ve logged in, you’ll notice that your default root FTP folder is 'Uploads'. From this root folder, you can create any sub-folders and place your data files there.
- Maropost for Marketing supports any text file with .csv or .txt file extension.
- Your file can use either a comma, tab, colon, or semi-colon as the field delimiter.
- The first row of the file must be the header row.
Importing Contacts Using FTP Import
Perform the following steps to use file import to import contacts into a list:
- In the Navigation, go to AUDIENCE, and select Contact Lists. On the Contact Lists index page, find the contact list into which you want to import your contacts.
- From the Actions drop-down list, select Import List.
- In the Import List dialog box, select FTP Import as the Import Method. Then, click Continue.
- On the FTP Import page, select the name of the file that you’ve uploaded to the FTP folder. Also, select the field delimiter that is used in the file.
- Select the following checkboxes, as applicable:
- Import new contacts: This option imports new contacts. The checkbox is selected by default.
- Update existing contacts: This option updates the existing contacts. The checkbox is selected by default.
- Do not trigger journey campaigns: This option prevents the triggering of workflow campaigns. The checkbox is selected by default.
📋 Note: The option only applies to workflows using a 'New Subscription' trigger widget with this list selected in the trigger. If the checkbox is left selected, then contacts included in the data file will not enter any of the workflows.
- In the Mappings section, map the fields in the import file to the standard and custom fields in your contact list.
- Click Save to initiate the import. You can track the progress of the import in the Notification panel.
📋 Note: The notification also contains information on the total records imported, total contact records subscribed to the list, total contact records unsubscribed from the list, total number of bad email addresses, and total duplicated email addresses.
A 'bad email address' is any address that fails the basic syntax validation for an email address or one whose domain is that of a known spammer. You can download the file of the bad email addresses, which includes the email addresses and why they were flagged as 'bad'.