A secure list is used for email suppression. It is essentially an encrypted 'Do Not Mail’ list. It is very common for some brand marketers to utilize more than one email platform for their email campaigns. This practice is especially true when they partner with affiliates who send emails to the same shared contact lists but on separate platforms.
It is important to ensure that a contact who opts out from the email program to no longer receive emails, doesn't receive them regardless of who is sending the emails on behalf of that brand. 3rd parties such as UnsubCentral act as a centralized collecting point for email opt-outs. They will then share the opt-out lists with all the marketing agencies sending emails on behalf of that brand. The email addresses themselves are encrypted (typically as an MD5 hash) to maintain privacy.
How it Works
If a campaign includes reference to a Secure Suppression List, then Maropost for Marketing will create an MD5 hash of every email address in the campaign’s targeted audience. Next, it removes any contact from the targeted audience whose email hash is contained within the specified secure suppression list.
Using a Secure List for Suppression in a Campaign
When creating a campaign, on Step 1 of the Campaign Editor, simply place your mouse cursor in the field labeled 'Select Suppress Secure Lists' and start typing the name of the Secure List you want to use. The field will auto-fill with the name of the list as you continue typing.
Create a Secure List
1. Hover your cursor over ‘Email’, now scroll down to 'Contacts'
2. Hover your cursor over ‘Contacts’ again and click ‘Secure Lists’, which will bring you to the secure list index page.
3. Click ‘New Secure List’ on the bottom-right of your screen. This will show a pop-up where you can name your new list.
To Import or Export a Secure List, please follow these steps:
1. After naming your list, you will see the same options as if you were creating a regular list; import, export, contacts, edit, delete, and refresh counts.
2. Click ‘Import’ to import your secure contact file. You will be shown a pop-up box. Select the necessary details needed to import your secure list. The most important aspect is to select the column name or column number in which your MD5 hashed contact details are stored. There is also an option to import secure contact lists via FTP upload.
3. Click ‘Export’ to export a secure contact list. The export will be immediately begin, and you can check the status of the export by clicking on the ‘Bell’ notification logo along the top of the page.
To Export a secure suppression list from your Maropost account, please follow these steps:
1. Hover your cursor over your username on the top left, and click ‘Account Settings’.
2. On the ‘Account Settings’ page, you’ll see a ‘Do Not Mail List’ on the left side of the page. There are 4 options; import, export, encrypted export, and manage. You will also see a Brands ‘Do Not Mail List’ with 3 options; export, encrypted export, and manage.
3. Click ‘Encrypted Export’, and a .csv file download will begin immediately.
4. Inside the .csv file, there will be 1 column name; secure_email. In this column, you will see your list of suppressed emails in the form of MD5 hash.
**You can schedule imports with secure lists in Automation > Data Workflows.**