Maropost for Marketing enables individuals to exercise their Right to Erasure according to Article 17 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
It is important to emphasize that GDPR is only applicable to Controllers and Processors who are organizations operating within the European Union (EU), and organizations outside the EU that offer goods or services to individuals in the EU. GDPR does NOT apply to any person who is a citizen of the United States of America, Canada, or any other country outside of the EU.
Nevertheless, to avoid any ambiguity, most businesses will honor their contacts' requests to data erasure regardless of their citizenship.
If you receive a data erasure request from your customer, then as a Data Controller under GDPR, you are responsible to delete all data regarding your customer from all systems under your control. This scope applies to any data about that customer you maintain in your internal systems as well as any data that is stored within all external systems that you manage.
Delete an Individual Contact
View a contact's own Contact Details page. The quickest way to find it is to use the Search Contact dashboard widget.
Enter the contact's email address in the field and click the [Submit] button.
The contact's Contact Details page will now appear.
Click the [Delete this Contact] button located on the top right of the page.
When you delete the contact, its Contact Details record will still remain for reporting purposes. In addition the following data erasure steps will occur:
- The contact will be unsubscribed from all previously subscribed lists.
- If the contact is presently within any Journey, then it will be unsubscribed.
- The contact's email address will be replaced with a pseudonymized one and added to the general Do Not Mail list and the Brand Do Not Mail list (if your account is using the Brand Management feature).
- If the contact's email address was previously in the general Do Not Mail list and/or the Brand Do Not Mail list, then it will be replaced by its pseudonymized version.
- The contact record's custom fields will be deleted
- The contact record's standard fields (first name, last name, telephone, fax) will be set to NULL.
- All records in any relational table relating to that contact will be deleted.
Delete Contacts in Bulk
Maropost for Marketing includes a bulk deletion feature that is handy when you have received requests from numerous individuals and you want to process them all at the same time.
Navigate to your acccount settings page by mousing over your user name in the top right corner of the menu bar, and selecting "Accounts" from the Settings menu.
Scroll down until you see the "Delete Contacts" section on the bottom left side of the page. Click the "Import" link.
A modal will now appear where you will upload a file containing the list of email addresses whose data you wish to delete.
Follow the instructions and then click the [Upload] button.