The File Import option enables you to import a contact list from your computer. This import supports the following file types: .txt, .csv, and .zip (must contain only one file that is of .txt or .csv type). The maximum file size must be limited to 150 MB.
The CSV file must be formatted as per the following guidelines:
- There must be no spaces in the Header Column Names and always remove leading and trailing spaces
- Follow UTF 8 encoding (note that we do not support UTF-8 BOM)
- Date format must be: dd-mm-yyyy
- The boolean type fields must use 0 and 1 to indicate false and true
Additionally, when importing a CSV file, ensure you map the custom fields appropriately on the mapping step.
For a brief context into all file import options and links to specific detailed instructions, see Importing Contact Lists.
Importing Contacts Using File Import
Perform the following steps to use file import to import contacts into a list:
- In the Navigation, go to AUDIENCE, and select Contact Lists. On the Contact Lists index page, find the contact list into which you want to import your contacts.
- From the Actions drop-down list, select Import List.
- In the Import List dialog box, retain File Import as the Import Method. Then, select the file with the contact list. Also, select the field delimiter that is used in the file.
📋Note: In your file, email is the only mandatory field for importing contacts.
- Click Continue to go to the contact mapping page.
- On the contact mapping page, select which fields from your file are to be matched with your previously created fields on the Maropost application. Optionally, if you have designated a custom field to be the unique identifier of your contact records, then select the name of the field in your import file that contains the member IDs, subscriber IDs, or any other type of profile IDs that your internal system is using to uniquely identify each contact record.
📋Note: By default, the contact’s email address is used to determine whether a new contact record is created or an existing one updated. However, if you’ve included the field containing your unique identifier in the file mapping, then that unique identifier field (for example, the member ID) is used to determine whether a contact record exists or not.
- Select the following checkboxes, as applicable:
- Import New Contacts: This option imports new contacts only.
- Update Existing Contacts: This option allows you to update the existing contacts in a list.
- Do not trigger workflow campaigns: This option prevents any workflow from triggering the contacts involved in this list.
- Once everything is mapped correctly, click Import. You can track the progress of the import in the Notification panel.
📋Note: You can also set a data workflow to import contacts into a list.